by Martin M. Antony and Peter J. Norton
Recent breakthroughs in the study and treatment of anxiety are empowering countless people to find relief from chronic fears, worrying, phobias, and obsessions. This inviting workbook shows how.
Recent breakthroughs in the study and treatment of anxiety are empowering countless people to find relief from chronic fears, worrying, phobias, and obsessions. This inviting workbook shows how. The state-of-the-art program presented here is grounded in cognitive-behavioral therapy, the most effective treatment for anxiety. No matter what type of anxiety problem you suffer from, leading experts Drs. Martin M. Antony and Peter J. Norton provide an unrivaled toolkit of proven strategies to help you:
- Understand what anxiety is and how it gets out of control
- Identify your anxiety triggers
- Change the beliefs and behaviors that make symptoms worse
- Develop a safe, gradual plan for confronting feared situations
- Learn the facts about medications and herbal remedies
- Achieve a new level of calm with relaxation and meditation techniques
- Find the right professional help, if and when you need it
Vivid, practical examples illustrate how to put the book's science-based techniques into action, and effective problem-solving tips ease you through the rough spots in recovery. If you're ready to take back your life from anxiety, you've come to the right place.
"There have been major advances in the understanding and management of anxiety in recent years, and this book captures all of the key lessons. The techniques and strategies in these pages will help you learn to manage any type of anxiety and fear."
-Ronald M. Rapee, PhD, author of Overcoming Shyness and Social Phobia
"Everyone with anxiety problems should read this book! It tells you why you have anxiety and exactly, step by step, what you should do about it. It is reader friendly, easy to understand, and based on cutting-edge research. Truly a 'must read.'"
-Judith S. Beck, PhD, Director, Beck Institute for Cognitive Therapy and Research
Martin M. Antony, PhD, President-Elect of the Canadian Psychological Association, is Professor and Director of Graduate Training in the Department of Psychology at Ryerson University in Toronto. He is also Director of Research at the Anxiety Treatment and Research Centre, St. Joseph's Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario. An award-winning researcher, Dr. Antony is the coauthor of When Perfect Isn't Good Enough, 10 Simple Solutions to Panic, and numerous other books. His research, writing, and clinical practice focus on cognitive-behavioral therapy and the treatment of anxiety disorders. He has been widely quoted in the U.S. and Canadian media.
Peter J. Norton, PhD, is Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Houston and Director of the University of Houston Anxiety Disorder Clinic. His research on anxiety and its treatment has been honored with awards from the National Institutes of Health and other organizations. The author of over 50 research papers, Dr. Norton has delivered many presentations and workshops for the scientific community, therapists, and the general public.
264 Pages, Size: 8" x 10 1/2"
Introduction: The Faces of Anxiety
I. The Prep
1. Anxiety: The Big Picture
2. Getting to Know Your Anxiety
3. Getting Ready for Treatment
II. The Program
4. Changing Your Anxious Thinking
5. Eliminating the Safety Net
6. Confronting Feared Objects and Situations
7. Confronting Scary Thoughts, Memories, Images, and Urges
8. Confronting Frightening Feelings and Sensations
9. Learning to Relax: Relaxation, Meditation, and Acceptance
10. Medications and Herbal Remedies
III. In the Long Run
11. Creating an Anti-Anxiety Lifestyle
12. Overcoming Treatment Obstacles
13. Living without Anxiety
14. A Guide for Family and Friends
Appendix: Helpful Resources
Stock: Usually ships in 4-8 business days!